ONCE UPON A TIME.

“Get up, Rohit”, his mother said. He woke up and his eyes were all red. Seeing his eyes anyone could tell that he had been crying the whole night. Yet he managed to smile and got off his bed. 
“Maa, I woke up.” He shouted and went to the bathroom to freshen up. He then found a list stuck to his door saying, 
“1. Get a birthday cake.
2. Bouquet of roses. 
3. A white gown.
4. Scented candles.
5. A new shirt.”
Seeing this list he had tears in his eyes but he still did what he was supposed to do. He went to the breakfast table after getting freshened up and had his breakfast. He just took a piece of toast and drank half of the milk in the glass in a hurry. 
“Rohit beta, please be slow or else you’ll end up vomiting. I know today is a very special day for you, but please take care of these small things as well.” His mother said.
He replied, “Maa, today I can’t be late. It’s her special day and she hates it when I’m late. Sorry maa. I’m leaving now. Bye and love you. I’ll be back by 7 in the evening.” and left.
He first went to the nearby market and ordered a chocolate vanilla cake and instructed them to write “HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO NIHARIKA” on it and told them that he wanted the cake to be ready before 6 in the evening. After ordering the cake he went to the florist and told him that he wanted the best bouquet of roses to be ready by 6 and while leaving made the advance payments. He went to the mall and purchased a beautiful white gown for her and a shirt for himself and also a pack of scented candles. And from there he finally left for his office. He finished off all his work early that day and left the office by 5:30 in the evening. He first took the cake from the shop and then the bouquet and made his way towards home.
While on the way, he again broke down into tears but still managed to stop them flowing. He knocked and his mother opened the door. 
He said, “Maa, today I’ll be a little late for the dinner.”
“Ok beta. Please take care.” His mother replied holding tears in her eyes. 
He straight away went to his room, lighted the candles, decorated the table, changed his dress and wore the new shirt and kept the bouquet of roses and the gown on the table. The table now had the cake, the gown, the bouquet and a photo, photo of Niharika.
Unable to hold on to his tears now he finally broke down. 
He started reading the letter he had written last night,
“Niharika, I wish you a very happy birthday. Yet another birthday, celebrated in the way you always wanted to. It has been 3 years since your death but not a single year went off without me celebrating your birthday. Honey, we were just newly married and then you left me all alone. I won’t ever love anyone else because you were my first and last love. I’ll always keep maa happy and do whatever you wanted me to do. I love you. Happy birthday to you, my love.”
And after reading the letter, he sang the birthday song and decided to cut the cake. He then took the first piece of the cake and kept it near the photo frame. With tears in his eyes, he picked up the photo frame and kissed the picture. 
Once upon a time even they were together enjoying the gift of love but then god decided to play a cruel game with their life and here he stood all alone.

Imade credits- Favim.

I was tagged by an online sister as well as a blogger, Archana Di, to take part in Five Photos Five Stories Challenge (FPFS) which is – post a picture for 5 consecutive days and attach a post to it – fiction, poem or a short write-up. It can be anything to suit your taste.
This is my second day. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I MISS YOU MY SUPERHERO.

A SMILE ON HER FACE MAKES MY DAY.

MEMORIES.